The Director of Housekeeping oversees and ensures cleanliness of the property in accordance with the Department of Health, hotel and company standards. Responsible for planning, organizing, and developing of the overall operation of the housekeeping (including laundry & housemen) department. Follows all policies and procedures while constantly striving to improve all standards of the operation. Ensures the highest degree of quality guest care is maintained at all times, through prompt and courteous care. Responsible for staffing, scheduling, training and developing hourly team members.
- The Director of Housekeeping is expected to plan, organize, and monitor the work of housekeeping, laundry and housemen team members daily to ensure compliance with our high-quality standards, which requires continuous visual inspections of guest rooms and public areas, laundry production, and quality.
- Uphold the highest standards of cleanliness, sanitation, safety, and conduct.
- Communicates effectively, both verbally and in writing, to provide clear direction to team members. Recruits (hires), trains, coaches and counsels housekeeping (including laundry staff and housemen) team members, following the company, state, and federal regulations.
- Performs reviews of the Housekeeping Department team. Manages and motivates management team in the administration of their duties.
- Purchase, re-order and maintain linen and housekeeping supplies and inventory.
- Manages finances of housekeeping operations including budget and inventory controls. Controls expenditures, labor, supplies, etc. in relation to resort financial forecasts and budget. Maintains systems and controls to provide adequate supplies for efficient operations of the department.
- Evaluates and reports maintenance issues relating to condition of furniture, fixtures, and equipment.
- Monitors daily Time and Attendance of staff to prevent any mistakes with payroll and to avoid any overtime for the department.
- Demonstrate positive leadership characteristics which inspire team members to exceed standards, and promote team empowerment.
- Service metrics responsibility related to areas of control (i.e. – guest service scores and TripAdvisor)
- Delegate duties and projects with consistent follow up.
Maintain clean and organized work area.
Promptly resolves any guest complaints or issues.
Reports any unsafe work condition to the Resort Manager or General Manager.
Ensures proper communication within the department by conducting regular meetings with all housekeeping team members. Participates with peer managers in meetings, property goals and initiatives.
Effective communicator to peer managers.
Properly records, stores and disposes of all lost and found articles (items left in guestrooms).
Knowledge of OSHA and safety standards within the housekeeping department.
Other duties, as assigned by the Resort or General Manager.
- Previous experience managing a team of housekeeping employees through motivation, coaching, and development.
- The ability to anticipate customer needs, change goals and direction quickly and multitask.
- Working knowledge of rooms management systems.
- Proven experience supervising housekeeping departments of 50+ employees.
- Capable of using independent judgment/solid decision-making skills.
- Proven comfort and experience to interact effectively with all levels of management, guests, associates, and homeowners, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Activator/self-motivated to accomplish goals, with a strong sense of responsibility.
- Proficiency with general office PC applications (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, databases).
- Demonstrated sound organizational, coordinating and personal interface skills.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven job reliability, diligence, dedication and attention to detail.
- IQWare knowledge and experience preferred.
- Due to the cyclical nature of the hospitality business, team members may be required to work varying schedules to reflect the business needs of the resort.
Education and Formal Training
High school diploma or GED required. College degree preferred with emphasis in Hospitality or 5 years in a supervisory or management position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities. We participate in E-Verify.